Let it be stated:
‘I, Miranda of mirandomness.com, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May ’15. I endeavour to wear at least one Miranda Made garment each day for the duration of May 2015.’
I have tried for the last few years to participate in Me-Made-May, but like a diet, I start out strong and lose steam as the month goes. NOT THIS YEAR!
Today’s outfit consists of a knit top of red cotton interlock that I made using Colette’s Astoria Pattern (Free with April’s Issue of Seamwork Magazine) and a pair of pedal pushers made using Butterick 5895 (one of the Gertie Patterns). Overall I’m really happy with the top, which turned out super cute in about an hour of work. The only change I made was sleeve length; Houston summers are hot. The pants were a bit trickier.
My thoughts on Butterick 5895 are varied. As far as construction goes, the instructions were straightforward and easy. The fit was another story. My trial muslin will never see the light of day. Like many other sewers out there, I found that this pattern has far too much ease. When making this pattern I cut it down two sizes smaller than what the back of the envelope suggested based on my measurements. THEY ARE STILL TOO BIG!!!! That being said, once I correct this and a few other fitting problems (saggy front and bum) in my next pairs, I will have a pair of work pants for wearing around the Modage on project days.
I accessorized with my red and white polka dot Keds and my gold-toned telephone novelty brooch (should be in every girl’s collection.) I’m really amazed that my hair held up as well as it did, as I am in sore need of a hair cut. Overall I think it’s a cute little outfit, even if the pants are a bit of a step in right direction rather than the perfect pair. I think the mosquitoes who were dining on my legs, while I was posing for these pictures, would agree.